- Establish a friendly relationship with an adults with multiple disabilities
- Explore the community to encourage independence.
- Provide support during community activities
- Spend 2 hours per week doing any activity you and your peer/friend choose; seek pre-approval from peer/friend’s case manager.
- Support and encourage your peer/friend in performing activities in collaboration with other providers.
- Provide ongoing communication to case manager and other team members
- Terminate relationship with peer/friend when you can no longer volunteer
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Detail oriented and committed to meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Works well independently and as part of a team.
- Attend training session given by SCOEN
- On-going support is provided by Manager, Volunteer Task Force and residential staff.
- A background check is required, this will include a drug screening and criminal check. Volunteer can not begin working until all information has been received and approved by the area program.
1. 2 hours per week is required, additional time is at your discretion.
2. Plan your schedule in conjunction with case manager and peer/friend.
3. Explore or attend events in your community or at places you and your peer/friend want to attend.
Length of Commitment:
6 months is required.
1. On-going support is tailored to each volunteer’s needs
Benefits and recognition
This position provides valuable experience for Environmental Studies, Non-Profit Management, Fundraising and/or Event Management; individuals with an interest in gaining experience in the non-profit sector or in the environmental field; and anyone with a passion for helping the most disadvantaged community this project an amazing experience.
Volunteers are highly valued members of the SCOEN team and contribute to making a significant difference in SCOEN ability to help our community and future generations. SCOEN will provide reference letters for all volunteers who successfully complete a placement.